Pages

Friday, June 3

Oh, the Joys of Vinegar

Well, that might be a bit of a stretch but if I've often said if I could have it piped into my house, I would.

For a couple of years now, I've cleaned the whole house with nothing but baking soda and vinegar. The truest test of its cleaning power came last weekend, though, as C and I were working in the yard.



He normally uses bleach to pressure wash the house and clean the outside of the gutters but I asked if he would try vinegar...just one time...pretty please? It wasn't long after I handed him a soaked rag that he said, "You know what? This really works!"

For once, I wasn't even tempted to gloat about being right, though I will admit to a bit of annoyance that he doubted me in the first place. Oh well...

•   •   •

If you're interested in environmentally-friendly cleaning products or saving some money, look no further. You can have both right away.

Instead of the 8-10 different cleaning products I used to use, my cleaning bucket now holds a spray bottle containing a 1:5 vinegar water solution, a big box of baking soda, a jug of vinegar and a sponge. 

  • The solution is perfect for glass, windows and all general disinfecting. I also use this to clean our phones.
  • For toilet bowls, either let a cup of vinegar sit for 5-10 minutes or sprinkle 1/4 cup baking powder around the bowl. Use a scrub brush as normal. 
  • For sinks, use the baking powder as you would a scouring powder. 
  • Baking soda is a great odor-remover for carpets.
  • Vinegar is a wonderful fabric softener. Just add 1/2 cup to the fabric softener cup in the washer.
  • Hard water stains can be easily removed by leaving a vinegar soaked rag over the stains for an hour or two. This works on glass cooktops also.
  • If your glasses or silverware get dingy or cloudy, fill your kitchen sink with water, add a cup of vinegar and let them soak for a half-hour.
There are many more uses for both products but these are my favorites.

Have you found homemade or natural cleaning products that you love? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment