It stopped the coughing, though, so it's a remedy I've used with my own kids. The song-and-dance remain the same. With each kid, it's been...
'Oooh, That's gross. I don't want to try it.'
'Well, think about how bad store-bought cough medicine tastes.'
'Umm, yeah. Okay. I'll try it....Okay, that's not bad.'
To make some yourself, all you need is an onion and sugar. I'm not big on measuring while cooking so you may need to adjust this a bit.
- Take a bit of onion, a little less than 1/4 cup.
- Place it in a small bowl and crush it until no solid pieces remain. I use a little tart-shaper tool. You could also use the back of an ice cream scoop or a spoon.
- Mix in a scant tablespoon of sugar.
- The mixture will look like a thick liquid with visible sugar grains.
- Scoop it up in a large spoon and administer.