Pages

Tuesday, April 27

Raw Dairy
















Saturday, I picked up our order from the dairy CSA we just joined. The membership commitment is only for milk but I also ordered raw milk butter, raw milk cheddar and lard.

The milk is so delicious. The kids love it because 'it tastes like melted ice cream'. I got more than a pint of cream from a gallon of milk. I couldn't find any organic berries at the store yesterday, so I'll probably just use it to make some butter. I promised the kids I'd make granola bars and cookies today, so I'll have already-softened butter for those!

I've never used lard before but, as a traditional fat, it's something I've been reading more about lately. I used it in my buttermilk biscuits. I'm not sure I've ever tasted anything more 'southern' but, all in all, I'm not sure that I won't go back to butter. The taste was a bit heavy for me. Guess I'll give it another shot and take a vote. :)

1 comment:

  1. Don't know if you are a pie person, but lard makes the BEST crusts. When I first moved here, and my parents would visit, my Mom would bring her own flour (made one county over from where I grew up), and lard. :)

    ReplyDelete