Pages

Thursday, February 25

Brown Sugar Cookies

From the time I was very young, I've heard stories about my great-grandmother's brown sugar cookies. My mom tells about how she and her two older brothers would race to the larder which always seemed to be full of these yummy treats. The game was to see who could get the biggest one and who could grab Granny's big cooking spoon to eat it out of. Apparently, the brother nearest her age would do anything to beat her out but the eldest would hold the lid of the larder open so she could jump up and balance on the side to get a cookie.

My mom made these for us growing up but apparently I didn't remember how good they were because I made them for the first time this week. Oh. My. Word. If you like moist, chewy cookies, here you go. I now know why Granny kept them in a larder. I put mine in a sealed glass jar and they were almost too moist, even days later. A little air (thus crispiness) might make them even better.

So, while my great-granny could have never foreseen that her recipe would be shared via something called the internet, I think she would smile knowing she and her loving ways live on.

Brown Sugar Cookies

1/2 c butter
1 c brown sugar
1 well-beaten egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda

Work butter until fluffy. Add sugar gradually, beat until light. Stir in egg and vanilla. Add soda, salt and flour. Mix well. Shape into a roll and wrap in wax paper. Chill for one hour. Cut into slices 1/8" thick. Bake at 375˚ for 10 minutes.

Makes about 50 small cookies.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to lose weight this month- now... its cookie time!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. The mechanic at the shop we go to knows me oh too well. I think I paid for his house. He doesn't say hi, he just says- what broke now? In fact, one of our cars is at the shop now!

    Awesome blog, I love it!

    ReplyDelete