Pages

Friday, March 5

Beef Barley Stew

I made this yummy stew yesterday and served it with slices of buttered Amish garlic bread. This would be great to feed a crowd. It uses beef chuck which is an economical cut and is very hearty, so much so that I couldn't finish mine. 


Beef Barley Soup
1 1/2 lbs. beef chuck steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 large onion, diced
5 celery ribs, sliced
6 carrots, sliced
1 qt tomato juice
2 qt stewed tomatoes
1 c pearled barley
2 bay leaves
(NOTE: I'm generally heavy-handed when adding seasonings and don't measure them. The following amounts are approximate but adjusted down for those with milder tastes than ours.)
1 T dried basil 
1 t sugar
1 t pepper
1 t sea salt
2 t garlic powder
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and simmer for 4 hours on HIGH or 8-10 on LOW. Remove bay leaves before serving.


I also made homemade tomato sauce for tonight's spaghetti which I have been craving for the longest time. :) I have a new appreciation for the canned tomatoes I've been receiving from the CSA all winter. I can't imagine how many plants they must tend to! Three quarts of stewed tomatoes cooked down to just over a quart of sauce. I'll definitely be canning my own this summer. :)


Happy weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. That soup looks soooo yummy, as you and Carrie like to say!! I finished the last of the soup w/beef you made a while back. Goooood.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete