Pages

Thursday, March 25

Steak au Poivre

I made this delicious dish last night. It was so easy to make and gave a lot more flavor to the steak than I anticipated.

Steak au Poivre

Yield: 4 servings (I halved the recipe and it fed all five of us but I do the half-the-plate-should-be-veggies thing. I would definitely allow more per person if we were having company.)

3 T cracked pepper
4 8-oz rib-eye steaks
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped (I only had a regular onion.)
1/4 c Cognac (I didn't have that either, so I use vermouth.)
1/4 c whipping cream
1 T butter

Press cracked pepper onto both sides of each steak; cover and chill one hour. Heat 2 T butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steaks 3 minutes each side or until browned. Remove steaks from skillet; cover and keep warm.
Sauté shallot in skillet over medium heat until tender. Wipe out excess oil from skillet. Pour Cognac into skillet and ignite using a long match.*
After flames die, stir in whipping cream. Simmer until thickened (4-5 minutes.) Add 1 T butter and swirl to blend. Serve over steaks.

*I did not light the alcohol. I was a little scared of it and my hair was down. I wanted C to come home to a hot meal not a flaming house and a bald wife. If he's here next time, I'll definitely try it.

Source: The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment